American Legion Post 229 will have it's monthly meeting on 09 Jun 2016 in Madison, AL.
Members, meeting details will be emailed out to the post's members email list. Visitors, please email Commander Woods for any questions.
PO Box 194, Madison, AL 35758 | PH: 256.258.8534 | Email: Admin@AmericanLegionPost229.org
Regular Post meetings occur on the second Thursday of each month in Madison, AL. Please contact us for details
Call to Order
The meeting of American Legion Post 229 was called to order by Commander Woods. Opening prayer was offered by Post Chaplain Elect Dewy Cockman. Legionnaire in attendance were Commander Carlos Woods, Past Commander Carl Dow, Past Commander Hollis Bridges, 2nd Vice Bill McGahey, Adjutant Larry Vannoy, Finance Officer Leondra Kelley, Sgt-of-Arms Mike Marcel, Judge Advocate Mario Ventrua, James Vance, Scott Turbiner, Richard Blanton Jr., Andy Cox, Jerry Tepper, Ed Durst, Tom McKinney, Donald Rice, Kevin Walker, Clyde Roston, Earl Watts.
Commander Woods stated that he would bring the charter to the next meeting in order for post members who have not already signed it, be able to.
Approval of Previous Minutes
Commander asked the meeting attendees if all had the opportunity to review the published meeting and if there were any corrections. There was one change offered by Adjutant Larry Vannoy, that the listed member having a son in ill health was not Dewy Cockman but rather Richard Jones. Motion was made to approved the April meeting minutes with suggested changes by Scott Turbiner and was seconded by Bill McGahey. Vote was called by the commander and was approved by the membership.
· Sick and ShutIn: Lewis Rizzo is in the hospital.
Have two new members since last meeting. Please continue recruiting. Vannoy also reported that the Consolidated Report has been submitted at the beginning of the month. This paperwork defines what activities the post accomplished for the year.
· Finance: Finance Officer Kelley spoke to upcoming expenses including poppies given away during Memorial Day weekend. Financial report was approved by those present.
· District 12 / Madison County Report: District Commander Elect, Kevin Walker was recognized by Commander Woods. Commander Walker spoke saying that the Legion Posts working together is going to be his emphasis this coming year. He is going to have monthly meetings and hopes for representation from all the legion posts.
· North Alabama Veterans Coalition (NAVFOC: 1st Vice elect James Vance now the post representative to the monthly meeting. Vance spoke about the many events and members to the coalition.
· Disabled Veterans (DAV): Hollis Bridges spoke about furniture donated from Redstone Arsenal being distributed to veterans. There is a lot of furniture that has been acquired.
· Memorial Day/Week:
o The Memorial Day Ceremony is to be held at our Madison Veteran Park, the corner of Front and Church Street, Madison, Alabama. Date and time of the event is 30 May 2016, 11:00 AM. We are looking for volunteers to help with the planning and setup that will start earlier in the day. We are still seeking a guest speaker. Setup will start at 8 AM.
o We will honor our fallen veteran by placing US flags at three Madison Commentaries. We will be meeting at Memorial Gardens, located on Hughes Road by the Madison City Municipal Courthouse. We will meet on Saturday, 21 May 2016, time 9 AM in the parking lot. Flag pickup will be on the 4th of June at 9 AM, meeting at the Memorial Garden.
o Poppy Giveaway on 28th and 29th May 2016. Poppies will be given out at three Walmart locations, Hwy 20 and Hwy 72 in Madison, Walmart Market, Wall Tirana in Harvest, Alabama. Hours are 10am until 4 PM on both days. We need your help, contact Commander Woods at email: firstname.lastname@example.org , telephone:2565086548. Remember all our funds are used in Madison County.
· Americanism Committee: Tom McKinney talked about the Madison 2015 Police Officer of the Year. We are not going to submit him for 2015 for the state level award. Traditionally the state has given the award to a police officer that performed an act of heroism. We will work more diligently this year to have good candidates for the state award for both police officer of the year and firefighter of the year awards from Madison. Conversations are ongoing with both the Madison Police Chief and Fire Chief.
· Membership Committee: We are at about 114% of last year’s numbers.
· Monument Committee: James Vance, working on getting funding the project. Seeking $50K. Had first meeting and are putting together the game plan for approaching businesses for funds. Looking at getting pavers with the donor’s name on them placed at the park as a fund raiser.
· Post Home Committee: Larry Vannoy, committee chairman, shared the magazine article published by Madison Magazine and acknowledged member Jerry Tepper for pulling the article together. This article will be very useful for fundraising.
· Fund Raising Committee: James Vance is seeking ideas and names of companies to approach about donations.
Service Officers Training: Training continues at the Madison City Hall. Members Odri Hastings and Marlyce Cook have been attending the training for our post, The next class is on the 19th of May at Madison City Hall. The intent of this training is not to offer advice but rather help facilitate putting together the materials for submission of requests for benefits to the VA.
New Members Initiation: New members Initiation was not conducted.
Boys State: A total of 38-40 boys are attending from Madison County. Sparkman sent several, Bob Jones and James Clemens had several.
Girls State: Two from Sparkman, two from Bob Jones and two from James Clemens are attending.
· We are seeking assistance for the Adjutant, specifically to put together the meeting minutes.
· Commander Woods would like to have a “Commander’s Ball” and is going investigate further the idea.
Our next meeting will be on June 9th at the IHOP on Highway 72. Meeting, eat at 6PM and meeting starts at 7PM. Spouses are invited.
There was an installation ceremony for the new post officers who will take their positions at the June meeting District Commander elect Kevin Walker presided over the ceremony. The new officers are:
Commander, Carlos Woods
1st Vice, James Vance
Adjutant, Larry Vannoy
2nd Vice, Bill McGahey
Finance Officer, Leondra Kelley
Chaplin, Dewy Cockman
Sgt of Arms, Mike Marcel
Deputy Sgt of Arms, Earl Watts
Judge Advocate, Mario Ventura
Refreshment were served after the installation.
Meeting Adjourned time 8:15 pm.
Dinner: The American Legion Post 229 was held at the IHOP located on Hwy 72 West starting at 6 pm. During the diner Commander Woods updated Legionnaires, wives and friends of the Post 2015 accomplishments and showed slide shows of these events.
The Dinner was a success. The Post is considering having the dinner /meeting for legionnaires, wives, friends and potential members on a quarterly basis.
Call to Order
The meeting of American Legion Post 229 was called to order by Commander Woods. Opening prayer was offered by post Chaplain Ricky Spears. Legionnaire in attendance were Commander Carlos Woods, Past Commander Carl Dow, Vice Bill McGahey, Adjutant Larry Vannoy, Deputy SgtofArms James Vance, Max Riddle and wife Amanda Riddle, Jerry Tepper and wife Barbara, Dewey Cockman, Lelia Woods, Kenneth Epps and wife Virginia, Ricky Spears and wife Phyllis, Louis Rizzo and brother, Wendell, Bill Pettit, Larry Frakes, Ray Barnes, Marlyce Cook, Serelda Ventura, Mario Ventura, Angela Thomas, Richard Thomas, Aiyaha Thomas and Richard Jones. Angela Thomas and Richard Thomas joined our Post on this night.
Approval of Previous Minutes
Commander asked the meeting attendees if all had the opportunity to review the published meeting and if there were any corrections. No corrections or clarifications were made.
Sick and ShutIn: Tom McKinney’s wife had surgery and is recovering.
Adjutant: Commander Woods stated that he would make the Adjutant report due to the newly elected Adjutant begin just assigned the duty. The post membership is currently at 107% according to the state but there remains a discrepancy on the true percentage of membership.
Finance: Finance Officer Kelley was absent. Commander Woods stated that most of the recent expenses were associated with the JROTC medals and wreaths storage containers. Financial report was accepted and voted on and passed.
State Report: Nothing to report
Alabama State Headquarters has asked Commander Woods to be the Division Commander for District 1 for recruiting. Commander woods has not accepted this position at this time. This will be additional duties if he accept.
North Alabama Veterans Coalition (NAVFOC): No report from NAVFOC.
Disabled Veterans (DAV): No Report.
● Memorial Day/Week:
Bill McGahey spoke on events planned for Memorial Day Weekend leading up to Memorial Day and Memorial Day itself.
o The Memorial Day Ceremony to be held at our Madison Veteran Park, the corner of Front and Church Street, Madison, Alabama. Date and time of the event is 30 May 2016, 11:00 AM. We are looking for volunteers to help with the planning and setup that will start earlier in the day.
o We will honor our fallen veteran by placing US flags at three Madison Commentaries. We will be meeting at Memorial Gardens, located on Hughes Road by the Madison City Municipal Courthouse. We will meet on Saturday, 28 may 2016, time 9 AM in the parking lot.
o We will also have our Poppy Giveaway on 28th and 29th May 2016. Poppies will be given out at three Walmart locations, Hwy 20 and Hwy 72 in Madison, Walmart Market, Wall Tirana in Harvest, Alabama. Hours are 10am until 4 PM on both days. Commander Woods will be sending out a signup sheet. We need your help, contact Commander Woods at email: email@example.com , telephone: Remember all our funds are used in Madison County.
● Americanism Committee: Committee Chairman Tom McKinney was not present, however the status remains that he is working on City of Madison firefighter and Police Officer of the Year awards.
● Membership Committee: We have several members that according to our records that have not renewed, Commander Woods is continuing to contact nonrenewed members. A reminder was given that fees are going up to $45 starting this year. We need each member to recruit a friend. Commander Woods has sent out the new membership letter and a new application.
● Monument Committee: Commander Woods stated that the current Veteran’s Memorial in downtown Madison is in disrepair and needs to be replaced at the cost of
$39K. Commander Woods informed the members that he has received a copy of the American Legion National Headquarters paperwork that identifies our American Legion Post 229 as a 50119c nonprofit classification also applies to the state. Now that we have this paperwork in hand we can start pursuing organizations and members to help us fund the monument. We are seeking new members for the Monument Committee,
Sgt of Arms James Vance is our new Committee chairman. We are seeking donations for the monument.
● Post Home Committee: Chairman Larry Vannoy spoke on the progress towards finding a permanent post home. Madison need a place for our veterans. Several locations have been identified, Jerry Tepper and wife Barbara have been doing searches for the owners. One of those locations, the owner has been contacted but was not interested in making it available to the post. Others options remain for us to rent or share a facility with another organization. Now that we have the paperwork in hand identifying our post as a nonprofit 50119c, more opportunities to fund raiser have opened up. A draft article has been written for the Madison Living Magazine which is being prepared for release.
● Service Officers Training: Training continues at the Madison City Hall with a class coming up next week, the 18 February 2016. We have had two members to participate and Commander Woods. The intent of this training is not to offer advice but rather help facilitate putting together the materials for submission of requests for benefits to the VA.
● New Members Initiation: New members Initiation was not conducted.
● Boys State: Commander Woods stated that this is a week long event where young men get the opportunity to participate in state government. This year 29 May thought 4 June at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Unfortunately we, nor Huntsville Post 237 will be able to pay the participation fees nor the bus trip to Montgomery for Boy’s State unless we are fortunate to find a donor. However, Post 237 is putting on a dinner for the Madison County attendees and their families. The Madison Counties American Legion Posts are looking for 48 High School Junior Boys to participate. The Application fee for each young man will be $225 and the bus fare will be $50. We are requesting donations from business, community and members to pay
$2000.00 for the bus. We are asking for tax exempt donations. If you would like to donate please forward to American Legion Post 229, ATTN: Boys State Bus, PO Box 194, Madison, Al 35758. Make your donation payable to American Legion Post 229.
● Veteran of the Week: The Madison Record newspaper is still looking for Madison City Veterans to feature in their newspaper. It will feature your military career. Contact Commander Woods if you are interested.
● Post Charter: Commander Woods presented a new copy of our Post Charter that he recently acquired State Headquarters. At the next meeting we would like members to sign it. Come out and get your name on our charter.
● 10% Rule on NonWartime Veterans Participation: Member Jerry Tepper asked asked about a potential of having up to 10% of the American Legion post could be members but not have been on active duty during wartime. Adjutant Vannoy took the action to investigate.
● Nomination of New Officers 2017: We will nominate new officer for 2017. Come out and run for office and be a part of the process to build our Post.