PO Box 194, Madison, AL 35758 | PH: 256.258.8534 | Email: Admin@AmericanLegionPost229.org
Regular Post meetings occur on the second Thursday of each month at 1900 at the Madison Center Center.
Post 229 will meet on 13 Aug 2015 at 1900 at the Madison Senior Center on Hughes Road.
· Call to Order- The meeting was called to order at 1700 Hrs by Commander Carlos Woods, and opening prayer was offered by Chaplain Rickey Spears. Members Present were Commander Carlos Woods, First Vice-Commander Monica Dumont, Second Vice-Commander Bill McGahey, Adjutant Douglas Pruett, Judge Advocate Mario Ventura, Sergeant of Arms Mike Marcel, Chaplain Rickey Spears, Past Commander Carl Dow, Legionnaires Lester Barnard, Victoria Bingham, Victor Blade, Larry Cunningham, Oscar Draper Sr., Edward Durst, Jim Haughen, Sheri Hollie, Joann Holman, Edward Hunter, Mike Leech, John Lendeborg, Tom McKinney, Andrew Reiter, David Silvernail, Jerry Tepper, Yvette Torbert, Scott Turbiner, Tracey Turner, Vic vanLeeuwen, James Vance, and Lelia Woods.
· Approval of Previous Minutes- A motion to actually read the full minutes of the June meeting was made by Tom McKinney, Seconded by Past Commander Carl Dow, and passed by all present. Adjutant Pruett read the minutes. A motion to accept as read was made by Judge Advocate Ventura, seconded by Second Vice-Commander McGahey, and passed by all present.
- Adjutant- Adjutant Pruett reported that since the Legion year just began, there are no percentages from the Department of Alabama to report. Adjutant Pruett did report that we have recruited six new members since July 1, including two that joined prior to the meeting tonight. NOTE: Add one transfer after the meeting, for a total of seven new members to Post 229. Since there were no questions, Commander Woods deemed the Adjutant Report as passed.
- Finance – Finance Officer Leondra Kelley was absent from the meeting due to being in the Madison Hospital. Commander Woods reported that Post 229 had donated $200 to a veteran in need, and Adjutant Pruett provided more information. Adjutant Pruett advised that the veteran is married with two children, and is currently unemployed and being evicted. Adjutant Pruett advised that the veteran found new housing, and had managed most of the money, except deposits. Adjutant Pruett and Finance Officer Kelly had met with the family, and provided a check to cover deposits, and the check was made payable to the apartment complex. Commander Woods also reported that this request came through the Department of Alabama, and they had already vetted the veteran for a legitimate need. Commander Woods also reported the balance of both accounts. Motion to accept the Finance Report was made by Legionnaire McKinney, seconded by Second Vice-Commander McGahey, and passed my all present. Note: Balances are not reported here, but members of Post 229 can contact Commander Woods with any questions.
- State of the District/County Report- No Report
- NAVFOC- No Report
- DAV- No Report
- Committees Reports-
- Americanism Committee- This report will be covered in Unfinished Business
- Membership Committee- First Vice-Commander stated that there is no report, but that there will be more to report after contacting District 12 Membership Committee. Commander Woods stated that Alabama has approximately 328,000 veterans eligible for membership in the American Legion. Alabama has only 19,000 of these members signed as members. Smaller States like Idaho has 58,000 members. We need to work to bring more of these 328,000 veterans into the Alabama American Legion
· Unfinished Business
- Law Enforcement Award Americanism Committee-
Legionnaire Tom McKinney reported that Law Enforcement Officer of Year is Detective Corporal Christie Gover of the Madison Police Department, and that she was submitted to the Department of Alabama for consideration at the upcoming convention, but a Montgomery Police Officer won. Legionnaire McKinney reported that he will be making a formal presentation to Corporal Gover at Madison City Council on 10 August at 1800 Hrs. and invited our memberships to be present at the presentation to show support. Please come out and support your Post 229 at this presentation.
- New Monument Plans Commander Woods explained the history of the monument, and the need to replace it, to all members present. Commander Woods also stated that the plan was to present the monument plans to the Madison City Council at the next City Council meeting, and that the total projected cost was $39,862. Legionnaire Jim Haughen stated that the monument plan was never put to a vote of Post 229 membership. Commander Woods stated that he had tried to recruit volunteers to serve as a Monument Committee several times, but never was unable to get anyone to serve. Commander Woods stated that after getting no volunteers, he approached Legionnaire Drolet based on his experience helping design and build the Madison County Memorial located in Huntsville. Legionnaire Drolet contacted a company that he was familiar with, and received memorial plans and cost to build. Judge Advocate Ventura made the suggestion that the post obtain three designs and bids. The post opted to seek additional bids, and also had five members volunteer to serve on the Memorial Committee. Committee Chairperson is Jim Haughen, and other members are Lester Barnard, Victor Blade, Larry Cunningham, and John Lendeborg. The committee will establish the perimeters under which they will operate, and report back to the post.
· New Business
- Adjutant Pruett read a Certificate of Recognition for National Commander Helms that congratulated Commander Woods, and Post 229, on achieving 100% for the 2015 Legion year. The certificate also came with a signed photo for National Commander Helms. Our post over achieved by accomplishing 150% for 2015. The award recognized all Posts accomplishing 100%.
· Adjournment- Motion to adjourn was made by Second Vice-Commander McGahey, seconded by Past Commander Dow, and passed by all present. Commander Woods adjourned the meeting at 2015 Hrs.
· Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Commander Woods at 1900, and opening prayer was offered by Legionnaire Draper. Members in attendance were Commander Carlos Woods, First Vice-Commander Monica Dumont, Second Vice-Commander Bill McGahey, Adjutant Douglas Pruett, Finance Officer Allison McGrath, Judge Advocate Mario Ventura, Past Commander Carl Dow, Legionnaires Oscar Draper Sr., Edward Durst, Lawrence Frakes, Jim Haugen, Leondra Kelley, Mike Leech, Mike Marcell, Tom McKinney, Shelton Torbert, Yvette Torbert, Scott Turbiner, Chuck Uhrich, Harold Fitzgerald, Bill Petit, Jerry Tepper and Special guest: Commander of Post 351 Robert Douglas.
· Approval of Previous Minutes
Motion to accept the minutes of the May meeting as posted on line was made by Adjutant Pruett and seconded by Second Vice-Commander McGahey. Motion was passed by all present.
- Adjutant- Adjutant Pruett reported that Post 229 is currently showing at 156.8% by the Department of Alabama. We have 223 members total, with 207 paid up and 16 unpaid. The final report for 2014 was 154 total members, 136 paid and 18 unpaid.
- Finance- Commander Woods gave the Finance Report due to Finance Office McGrath being out of town recently. Commander Woods reported on post profits from the Memorial Day Poppy Give Away donations and the balance of all post accounts. NOTE: Balances are not posted online, but members with question may contact Commander Woods directly.
- State of the District/County Report- Commander Woods reported that the new District 12 Commander is Jeremy Blevins, with Kevin Walker being District 12 Vice-Commander. Commander Woods is the new Madison County Commander.
- NAVFOC-There will be an upcoming email with all events planned.
- DAV- No Report Made
- Committees Reports:
- Americanism Committee- Legionnaire McKinney reported that the Madison Law Enforcement Officer of the Year, Detective Corporal Christie Gover, was presented for consideration by the Department of Alabama, but did not win. Legionnaire McKinney asked to be reimbursed for the cost of the plaque. Legionnaire Leech made the motion to reimburse, it was seconded by Legionnaire Draper, and passed by all present.
- Membership Drive-First Vice-Commander Dumont reported that there will be a recruitment drive for Madison County soon, and that details are still being worked out.
· Unfinished Business
- Law Enforcement Award
- Tom McKinney: Law Enforcement Officer of Year: Detective Corporal Christie Gover present post award.
- Boys State:
- Harrison James, Sparkman High School, JROTC, Boy Scout (Silvernail) attended Boys State, and reported that it was an enjoyable experience.
- Memorial Day Weekend
- Placing of Flags: Problem; no one showed up to pick up Flags. 2nd Vice Bill McGahey single handedly picked them up.
- Poppies Give Away: Collected $3071.26
- Memorial Day Ceremony:
- Great Program:
- Thanks to all, special thanks to 1St Vice, Chief Cob Madison Community Band, LTC Herd, CMSGT Clark and their JROTC Color/Honor Guard, Legionnaire Larry Frakes, and North Alabama Vietnam Helicopter Pilot Association
- Review of new monument plans-Commander Woods presented the design plan for the new monument and discussed the suggested changes with the membership. Commander Woods will be seeking approval from the City of Madison and asking for funds to help in the effort. Commander Woods will also present the plans to the Madison Historical Society as a courtesy.
- Election of Finance Officers for 2016
- Candidates: Allison McGrath and Leondra Kelley- The new elected Finance Officer is Leondra Kelley.
· New Business
o Adjutant Pruett stated that he plans to run a recruitment booth at the City of Madison Independence Day celebration and asked members to consider volunteering to staff the booth throughout the event. More information will be forthcoming.
o Department Convention 18 – 21 June 2015, Marriott, Huntsville, Alabama: Commander Woods informed the members that he had paid for 7 delegates for the Convention. Members to attend, Commander Woods, Vice Monica Dumont, Past Commander Carl Dow, Adjutant Douglas Pruett, Executive Committee Member, Tom McKinney, Member, Lelia Woods. There is one open delegate position open.
o Installation of Officers by Commander Robert Douglas, American Legion Post 351, Huntsville, Al:
Post 351 Commander Douglas gave the charge and Oath of Office to the 2016 Post 229 officers.
Commander- Carlos Woods
First Vice-Commander- Monica Dumont
Second Vice-Commander- Bill McGahey
Adjutant- Douglas Pruett
Finance Officer- Leondra Kelley
Judge Advocate- Mario Ventura
Sergeant of Arms- Mike Marcell
Chaplain- Ricky Spears (Not Present)
Historian- Sandra Bush (Not Present) appointed by Commander
Executive Committee members- Past Commander Carl Dow and Legionnaire Tom McKinney
o For the Good of the Legion
Motion to adjourn was made by Adjutant Pruett and seconded by First Vice-Commander Dumont. The motion was passed by all present and Commander Woods adjourned the meeting at 8:05 PM. Next meeting will 9 July 2015.