American Legion Post 229 will have it's monthly meeting on 14 Jul 2016 in Madison, AL.
Members, meeting details will be emailed out to the post's members email list. Visitors, please email Commander Woods for any questions.
PO Box 194, Madison, AL 35758 | PH: 256.258.8534 | Email: Admin@AmericanLegionPost229.org
Regular Post meetings occur on the second Thursday of each month in Madison, AL. Please contact us for details
Call to Order
The meeting of American Legion Post 229 was held at the International House of Pancakes (IHOP) and was called to order by Commander Woods. Opening prayer was offered by member Oscar Draper. Legionnaire in attendance were Commander Carlos Woods, Past Commander Carl Dow, 1st Vice James Vance, Adjutant Larry Vannoy, Finance Officer Leondra Kelley, Sgt-of-Arms Mike Marcel, Judge Advocate Mario Ventura, Bill Pettit, Jerry Tepper, Edward Patschek, Oscar Draper, Kevin Walker, Tom McKinney, Donald Rice, Richard Jones, Kenneth Epps, Andy Cox, Yvette Torbert.
Approval of Previous Minutes
Commander asked the meeting attendees if all had the opportunity to review the published meeting and if there were any corrections. No corrections were recommended and the membership voted to approve the minutes as published.
o In July we have one new members since last meeting. June is the last month for 2016 memberships. Anyone joining in July will get the rest of 2016 plus 2017. For existing members, they will be getting cards in the mail starting later in June or early July to renew membership.
· District Commander:
o District Commander Kevin Walker presented our post the “District Post of the Year” for 2015, our success was attributed to the number of community service projects we do. Commander walker talked through how protocol works between posts and the Alabama State Headquarters. He also invited that if we have any questions to feel free to contact him.
o Finance Officer Kelley spoke to the great success of the Memorial Day poppy sales; we were very successful in donations. We also collected over $1,600 to help a needy veteran family pay for funeral expenses and collected over $900 to help with Boy’s State. The finance
· North Alabama Veterans Coalition (NAVFOC): Nothing to report.
· Disabled Veterans (DAV): Nothing to report
· Americanism Committee:
o Chairman Tom McKinney talked about the Madison 2016 Law Enforcement Officer and Fire Fighter of the Year. He has talked to both departments and they are on board with the awards which will be made late summer or early fall based on recommendations from the departments. A motion was made, voted on and approved to set aside $150 for the awards.
· Membership Committee:
o Commander Woods said that we will be making recruitment awards in future meetings. Commander Woods stated that we need to work harder at recruiting younger members in addition to the Vietnam era veterans. We are not getting many Enduring Freedom Veterans to join.
· Monument Committee:
o James Vance stated that he is going to meet with Clark Memorial to go over the project including details on the design, how the donation pavers are going to be incorporated into the project, etc. More details will be provided at the next meeting. The committee has prepared a draft of the submission that needs to be provided to the City of Madison for next year’s funding.
o Committee Member Jerry Tepper spoke about setting up an LLC for the post home. It was agreed that the LLC needs to be established and further conversation and meetings on this subject will be taking place.
· Fund Raising Committee: Fundraising was discussed under the Monument Committee report.
· New Members Initiation and Presentations:
o New member initiations and awards to members are going to be conducted in future meetings.
· State Conference:
o The State Conference is being held 16-19 June at the Huntsville Marriott near the Space and Rocket Center. Training and State elections will be taking place. Post 229 has 8 voting members due to the post size. Let Commander Woods know if you are interested in attending.
o The Post Bi-Laws need revising; they have been distributed to the post officers for an initial review for changes.
· 4th of July Booth
o We are setting up a booth for the 4th of July at Dublin Park, the event starts at 2pm with fireworks at 9 PM. Adjutant Vannoy will contact the City for a boot space and will send out an email asking for volunteers to man the booth.
· Madison Street Festival
o The festival on the first Saturday in October. A motion was made and seconded to participate and authorized to pay the $100 booth fee. We will need a chairman and committee for the event and start work on requesting food and drink donations. The Adjutant will do the registration and set up a meeting with the Madison Street Festival committee.
· Member Picnic
o Bill Pettit volunteered to set up a Membership picnic to be held in September. A date is yet to be established.
· Veterans Day At The Shooting Range
o Sergeant of Arms Mike Marcel has volunteered to set a Day where our membership can have lesson on fire arm safety and a day shooting. From a show of hands, there is interest in holding such an event. Mike will come back next meeting with more details.
· Vietnam Moving Wall
o The Vietnam Memorial Moving Wall will be at Fultondale July 6-10th. The membership is invited to attend.
· VA Town Hall
- The Huntsville VA facility is putting on a Town Hall meeting on the 13th of June at 1pm, 500 Markaview Place, Huntsville. The members are invited to participate. If you come, wear your service cap.
Call to Order
The meeting of American Legion Post 229 was called to order by Commander Woods. Opening prayer was offered by Post Chaplain Elect Dewy Cockman. Legionnaire in attendance were Commander Carlos Woods, Past Commander Carl Dow, Past Commander Hollis Bridges, 2nd Vice Bill McGahey, Adjutant Larry Vannoy, Finance Officer Leondra Kelley, Sgt-of-Arms Mike Marcel, Judge Advocate Mario Ventrua, James Vance, Scott Turbiner, Richard Blanton Jr., Andy Cox, Jerry Tepper, Ed Durst, Tom McKinney, Donald Rice, Kevin Walker, Clyde Roston, Earl Watts.
Commander Woods stated that he would bring the charter to the next meeting in order for post members who have not already signed it, be able to.
Approval of Previous Minutes
Commander asked the meeting attendees if all had the opportunity to review the published meeting and if there were any corrections. There was one change offered by Adjutant Larry Vannoy, that the listed member having a son in ill health was not Dewy Cockman but rather Richard Jones. Motion was made to approved the April meeting minutes with suggested changes by Scott Turbiner and was seconded by Bill McGahey. Vote was called by the commander and was approved by the membership.
· Sick and ShutIn: Lewis Rizzo is in the hospital.
Have two new members since last meeting. Please continue recruiting. Vannoy also reported that the Consolidated Report has been submitted at the beginning of the month. This paperwork defines what activities the post accomplished for the year.
· Finance: Finance Officer Kelley spoke to upcoming expenses including poppies given away during Memorial Day weekend. Financial report was approved by those present.
· District 12 / Madison County Report: District Commander Elect, Kevin Walker was recognized by Commander Woods. Commander Walker spoke saying that the Legion Posts working together is going to be his emphasis this coming year. He is going to have monthly meetings and hopes for representation from all the legion posts.
· North Alabama Veterans Coalition (NAVFOC: 1st Vice elect James Vance now the post representative to the monthly meeting. Vance spoke about the many events and members to the coalition.
· Disabled Veterans (DAV): Hollis Bridges spoke about furniture donated from Redstone Arsenal being distributed to veterans. There is a lot of furniture that has been acquired.
· Memorial Day/Week:
o The Memorial Day Ceremony is to be held at our Madison Veteran Park, the corner of Front and Church Street, Madison, Alabama. Date and time of the event is 30 May 2016, 11:00 AM. We are looking for volunteers to help with the planning and setup that will start earlier in the day. We are still seeking a guest speaker. Setup will start at 8 AM.
o We will honor our fallen veteran by placing US flags at three Madison Commentaries. We will be meeting at Memorial Gardens, located on Hughes Road by the Madison City Municipal Courthouse. We will meet on Saturday, 21 May 2016, time 9 AM in the parking lot. Flag pickup will be on the 4th of June at 9 AM, meeting at the Memorial Garden.
o Poppy Giveaway on 28th and 29th May 2016. Poppies will be given out at three Walmart locations, Hwy 20 and Hwy 72 in Madison, Walmart Market, Wall Tirana in Harvest, Alabama. Hours are 10am until 4 PM on both days. We need your help, contact Commander Woods at email: email@example.com , telephone:2565086548. Remember all our funds are used in Madison County.
· Americanism Committee: Tom McKinney talked about the Madison 2015 Police Officer of the Year. We are not going to submit him for 2015 for the state level award. Traditionally the state has given the award to a police officer that performed an act of heroism. We will work more diligently this year to have good candidates for the state award for both police officer of the year and firefighter of the year awards from Madison. Conversations are ongoing with both the Madison Police Chief and Fire Chief.
· Membership Committee: We are at about 114% of last year’s numbers.
· Monument Committee: James Vance, working on getting funding the project. Seeking $50K. Had first meeting and are putting together the game plan for approaching businesses for funds. Looking at getting pavers with the donor’s name on them placed at the park as a fund raiser.
· Post Home Committee: Larry Vannoy, committee chairman, shared the magazine article published by Madison Magazine and acknowledged member Jerry Tepper for pulling the article together. This article will be very useful for fundraising.
· Fund Raising Committee: James Vance is seeking ideas and names of companies to approach about donations.
Service Officers Training: Training continues at the Madison City Hall. Members Odri Hastings and Marlyce Cook have been attending the training for our post, The next class is on the 19th of May at Madison City Hall. The intent of this training is not to offer advice but rather help facilitate putting together the materials for submission of requests for benefits to the VA.
New Members Initiation: New members Initiation was not conducted.
Boys State: A total of 38-40 boys are attending from Madison County. Sparkman sent several, Bob Jones and James Clemens had several.
Girls State: Two from Sparkman, two from Bob Jones and two from James Clemens are attending.
· We are seeking assistance for the Adjutant, specifically to put together the meeting minutes.
· Commander Woods would like to have a “Commander’s Ball” and is going investigate further the idea.
Our next meeting will be on June 9th at the IHOP on Highway 72. Meeting, eat at 6PM and meeting starts at 7PM. Spouses are invited.
There was an installation ceremony for the new post officers who will take their positions at the June meeting District Commander elect Kevin Walker presided over the ceremony. The new officers are:
Commander, Carlos Woods
1st Vice, James Vance
Adjutant, Larry Vannoy
2nd Vice, Bill McGahey
Finance Officer, Leondra Kelley
Chaplin, Dewy Cockman
Sgt of Arms, Mike Marcel
Deputy Sgt of Arms, Earl Watts
Judge Advocate, Mario Ventura
Refreshment were served after the installation.