May Post Meeting Minutes
- Meeting called to order by Cdr. Carl Dow at 1900 hrs.
- Old Business:
- The Flag “comic books” have been reviewed and found inappropriate for use in Madison elementary schools for flag etiquette. Members present decided that they would be good for handouts to youngsters at the Memorial Day poppy stations.
- Post membership remains at 99.9%. However, one transfer accepted at the meeting will put us over 100%.
- Planning has begun for the Memorial Day poppy program. A sign-up sheet was passed around for members to sign up for 2-hour shifts at Kroger and Walmart on Saturday, 26 May 12.
- New Business:
- The sixth annual luncheon honoring Korean War vets will be held on 22 May 12 at the Summit on Redstone Arsenal, 1000 – 1300 hrs. Cost for non-Korean War vets is $25.
- Post members discussed how many T-shirts to buy for the Trail of Tears motorcycle ride in the fall. It was decided that the Post buy approximately 20 fewer size 2X and 20 more women’s T-shirts than last year.
- Post Commander Dow received a request from the father of a Sparkman H.S. student for $200 to help his son attend Boy’s State. The motion was made and passed for Commander Dow to confirm with the principal and/or faculty at Sparkman that the student is acceptable and, if so, the Post will provide the requested funds.
- The North Alabama Veterans and Fraternal Coalition will meet at the Madison Senior Center in early June.
- Nominating Committee: The following members have been nominated for the offices specified:
- Commander: Nancy Burch
- 1st Vice Commander: Jeremy B. Blevins
- 2nd Vice Commander: Bill McGahey
- Adjutant: Vic van Leeuwen
- Finance Officer: Carlos Woods
- A permanent page has been created on this site to give the history of the Poppy. Please share with all your friends and neighbors. Here is the link: http://www.americanlegionpost229.org/p/poppy-history.html
- Post nominations are in accordance with Article IV of the Post By Laws. However, this year elections will be held one month late at the June meeting.