PO Box 194, Madison, AL 35758 | PH: 256.258.8534 | Email: Admin@AmericanLegionPost229.org

Regular Post meetings occur on the second Thursday of each month in Madison, AL. Please contact us for details

Reports on VA utilization, PTSD available

Reports on VA utilization, PTSD available:

Since shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, the Department of Veteran Affairs has been analyzing how (and if) post-9/11veterans have been utilizing the VA health-care system. VA has also been studying post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) among veterans from the same era. Each topic is the subject of a separate, quarterly report based on statistics from the Defense Manpower Data Center.
The latest reports indicate that since 2002, nearly 1.5 million veterans of the Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation New Dawn (OND) campaigns have returned to civilian life. Of that total, about 56 percent are former active-duty servicemembers, and the remaining 44 percent are former reservists. Yet, in each case, VA says, only a little more than half of these veterans have sought VA health care since discharge.
As to PTSD, it has been found to be a common component among veterans seen at VA medical centers and Vet Centers. In all, almost a quarter million OIF, OED and OND patients at Veterans Health Administration facilities have been diagnosed with PTSD.
The latest reports on VA health-care utilization by post-9/11 veterans and PTSD among them can be viewed on the VA website.
The "VA Health Care Utilization by Recent Veterans" web page with a report overview and links to PDFs of the current and past reports is available here.
The latest report itself is here.
The "VA Facility Use by Recent Veterans with PTSD" web page with a report overview and links to PDFs of the current and past reports is here.
The latest report itself is here.
The American Legion strongly encourages eligible veterans to enroll in the VA health-care system. Under VA’s combat veteran eligibility criteria, veterans are provided five years of cost-free health care for any injury or illness associated with their military service.
Questions may be directed to The American Legion Veterans Affairs and Rehabilitation Commission by email at or by phone at (202) 861-2700.