13 September 2012
OpeningThe regular meeting of Madison American Legion Post 229 was called to order at 1900 on 13 September 2012 in the Madison Senior Center by Commander Jeremy B. Blevins.
Approval of Minutes
The minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.
Adjutant Report:Currently 44 of 91 members have paid their dues for the 2013 fiscal year.
Finance Report:The Finance Officer was held up at work and unable to make this month’s meeting.
Executive Committee Report:Nothing to report this month.
- Carl Dow has placed the monuments for the Medal of Honor recipients from Madison in the Veterans Memorial Park. Photos of all the features of the park will be online soon:
- Trail of Tears Commemorative Bike Ride:
Post 229 is set to sell official commemorative ride t-shirts at the Friday night Pow-Wow and at the Saturday morning rally.
- JROTC support:
Post 229 will make a $500.00 donation to both BJHS and JCHS JROTC programs. Commander Blevins will contact the JCHS JROTC instructor to see if he would like a set of flags, or some other needed item in lieu of the full cash amount, to better support his JROTC in its infancy.
- Amendments to the Post By-Laws:
All proposed amendments were approved and the Post By-Laws will be updated accordingly.
- The Veterans Memorial Park was honored as the recipient of the 2012 Beautification Award winner by the Madison Beautification and Tree Board. Commander Blevins accepted the award on behalf of the Post at a recent City Council meeting. The certificate was presented in a wonderful frame and will be stored for safe keeping until it has a proper place to be hung.
- Madison Street Festival (06 October) :
Post 229 will have a tent set up in the Veterans Memorial Park as an information kiosk for a membership drive. The Optimist Club of Madison will also have a tent set up beside us to sell food. Commander Blevins will be seeking volunteers to man the booth for the event. If you would like to participate, let us know.
- Veteran’s Day activities:
- Post 229 will honor its WWII vets in the Huntsville Veteran’s Day parade.
In the past our WWII vets have ridden on a trailer, but this year they will ride the parade route in some of our fellow Legionnaires’ Corvettes. We anticipate two of our WWII heroes to participate, but if you know of others, please let Commander Blevins know so that we can make arrangements. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 256.612.0248.
- After the parade, Post 229 will host an event at theVeteran’sMemorialPark.
We plan to have a speaker and band. If you would like to participate on the planning committee for this event, please contact Commander Blevins.
- The overall Huntsville area veterans community has many activities and has turned into Veteran’s Weeks (there are two weeks worth of activities planned!). Commander Blevins will send out emails of opportunities to participate as he becomes aware of them.