- We had thirteen Legionnaires who joined/transferred/re-upped last month.
- The Madison Library is having a Festival of Wreaths. Vic van Leeuwen will take one of the Post's wreaths and decorate it for our submission.
- Executive Committee:
- Team was prepared for placing flags on veterans' graves. Thanks to Nancy Burch for heading up this effort, and thanks to all who helped.
- Finance Committee:
- If you would like a copy of the finance report, please email the Post Officers.
- Tabled until January: Doug Pruett will brief the Post on the requirements to establish a Legion Riders Chapter.
- Everything was prepared for the Veterans Day event, we determined the need for a contingency plan in case of inclement weather.
(Note: We had to implement the contingency plan and cancel the event. While the rain had pretty well stopped by 1400, we would have stomped the park into a mudhole trying to set it up in the rain that morning.)
New Business and Correspondence
- Madison Christmas Parade, Saturday 8 December at 1730 (Rain date: 9 December at 1400)
- We discussed having a Color Guard in front of a "float" in the parade. Given the inclement weather on Veterans Day, we will instead have a Color Guard followed by our WWII Legionnaires riding in Corvettes as we had planned for the Huntsville Veterans Day Parade.
- If there is interest, we can have an element marching in the parade as well. To march, you would need to be in "uniform": Legion cap (not ball cap), navy blazer, and gray slacks. Those interested should email Jeremy Blevins, or call 256.612.0248.
- We have to have our parade application in NLT 26 November at 1700.
- Tabled: A short brief on what Jeremy Blevins learned while attending the National American Legion College.
- Proposal of By-Law amendments: They can be read here and will be voted on in January.
- Resolution to rename the Post Administrative Officer to Post Historian passed with no objections.
- Election of New Finance Officer: Jim Haugen was elected and installed at the new Finance Officer. He will fill out the remainder of the 2012-2013 term.
The good of The American Legion
As stated in the agenda for this meeting, National Commander Koutz has placed special emphasis on raising funds for Operation Comfort Warriors. We will be taking up a collection each meeting to support this worthy cause. We collected $47.00 at this meeting. Thanks to all who contributed. you can contribute to this effort directly online, but please consider making your donation through the Post. We would like to reach a goal of $500.00 before the Department of Alabama Convention next summer.
For God and Country,
Jeremy B. Blevins
Madison American Legion Post 229