Nothing to report for January
No change from last report
- All wreaths and flags have been collected from the cemeteries.
- Some of the bows will need to be replaced due to wear before next year.
New Business and Correspondence
- Amendments - Discussion and votes on the proposed by-law amendments have been tabled until the next Post meeting.
- Veterans of North Alabama Service Assistance Program, Inc.
Summary from the organization:
"Veterans of North Alabama Service Assistance Program, Inc., was organized by a group of concerned citizens exclusively for charitable purposes. Specifically, Veterans of North Alabama Service Assistance Program, Inc., are engaged in raising funds, soliciting contributions, and recruiting volunteer efforts in order to assist veterans and their families with reintegration into society.
Veterans of North Alabama Service Assistance Program, Inc.'s mission is to reach out to all veterans and their families who have critical needs by providing them with transportation, tools, and other resources to meet their basic needs and emerge back into society with courage by giving them financial assistance and other resources needed to achieve long term success through long term mentoring.
The transportation is coordinated between veterans and/or their families and volunteer drives who wish to assist them in getting to the help and health organizations that can assist them.
We have in our plan for all volunteers to acquire training on PTSD issues so they can better communicate with those who have PTSD and educate the volunteers on services at local, state, and federal levels so that we can better assist them with services.
We have assembled all the help organizations both community and VA, into an easy to understand manual so they can identify services for which they are eligible. Volunteers will assist them in determining which services they qualify for then help with paperwork, communication with organizations, and transportation to get them to the scheduled appointments.
With qualified counselors and mentors, we assist the homeless veterans in getting back into society by helping them acquire housing, furniture, and household items as well as jobs to give them independence and boost their self esteem."
- This is a new non-profit that is being formed to provide assistance to service members in our area.
- Car Dow requested the Post provide a sum of $400.00 to the organization for the purpose of filing its 501(c)(3) paperwork with the IRS to gain tax exempt status.
- The motion was brought before the members present and received a unanimous aye vote.
The Good of the American Legion
Nothing to report.