The June meeting was held at the Madison Senior Center on 13 June 2013. The minutes of the meeting are as follows:
Call to Order
Approval of Minutes
- Minutes from May meeting were approved
- Adjutant: Membership is over 100% for the year.
- Finance: The Post received $1562.74 in donations from its Memorial Day Weekend Poppy Drive
- Summary of Memorial Day Weekend activities:
- The cemetery flag detail was a success with many volunteers from the community participating.
- The Poppy Drive, as stated in the Finance Report, was a success.
- The Memorial Day Observance went off well and reflected the somber tone of the occasion. Many of the elected officials from the community were in attendance.
- Permanent Post Home: Discussion of establishing a permanent Post home had been tabled some time back and was brought back to the floor. A motion was made by Jerry Tepper to form a committee to evaluate the feasibility of a permanent Post home. The motion was seconded and carried. Commander Woods will stand up a House and Entertainment Committee to evaluate this matter.
- Membership Drive: Another previously tabled item was brought back to the floor. A motion was made to table further discussion on a membership drive until the July meeting. This will give Commander Woods opportunity to get up to speed on the state of the Post. The motion to table was seconded and carried.
- Department of Alabama Convention: A motion was put forth to send a delegation to the Department of Alabama Convention this month. The motion was seconded and carried. Then a motion was put forth to nominate 5 delegates to represent the Post. The following five Legionnaires were nominated and appointed by unanimous vote: Carlos Woods, Lelia Woods, Carl Dow, Doug Preuett, Jeremy Blevins.
- Operation Sunscreen: Finance Officer Haugen brought up discussion on a letter the Post had received with regards to Operation Sunscreen. The letter was from a local cosmetic distributor who wanted us to buy the sunscreen that would in turn be sent in care packages to deployed troops. Based on the limited information available in the letter, a motion was put forth to support this individual, but did not receive a second and received no further consideration.
- Vets-Cars: Past Commander Blevins informed the assembly of a program available to veterans that is supposed to provide a more friendly carbuying experience. The website for the program is www.vets-cars.com.
- Adjutant Preuett brought up the topic of membership in the Madison Chamber of Commerce. The Post had allowed its membership to lapse last year. Past Commander Blevins asked for a motion for renewing membership in the Chamber, but no motion was brought forth.
- Installation of new officers. The new officers were sworn in by Past Commander Bridges. Chaplain-elect Samuelson was unable to attend due to a work conflict and will be sworn in at the next meeting. Commander Woods outlined his objectives for the next year, with membership and participation being his primary focus.