Members present were Commander Carlos Woods, First Vice-Commander Monica Dumont, Adjutant Douglas Pruett, Finance Officer Allison McGrath, Chaplain Rickey Spears, Past Commander Hollis Bridges, Legionnaires Edward Durst, Scott Fairchild, Claudette Grant, Jim Haughen, Mike Leech, Mike Marcel, Tom McKinney, Jerry Tepper, Scott Turbiner, Vic VanLeeuwen, Larry Vannoy, and Lelia Woods.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Commander Woods at 1900 Hrs. Opening prayer was led by Chaplain Rickey Spears.
Approval of Previous Minutes
Motion to accept the March 2015 minutes as posted on the post website was made by Legionnaire Mike Marcel and seconded by Legionnaire Tom McKinney. Motion was passed by all members present.
- Adjutant Pruett reported that Post 229 currently has 221 members on the roster, down one with the recent passing of Legionnaire Darrell Routon. There are 204 members that are current with their 2015 dues, and only 17 members that have yet to renew their dues for the year. The Department of Alabama currently shows Post 229 at a 153.6% renewal rate. Motion to accept the report was made by Legionnaire Leech, seconded by Legionnaire VanLeeuwen, and passed by all members present.
- Finance officer McGrath reported the current balances of the Operational Fund and Memorial Fund. Commander Woods reported on the status of hats that had been ordered for members, and payment for hats by those legionnaires. There were no questions from the membership and Commander Woods deemed the report as accepted. NOTE: Account balances are not posted in the on-line minutes. Post 229 members with questions can contact Commander Woods directly.
- State of the District/County Report
- No Report
- No report
- Past Commander Bridges reported that a DAV chapter has been suspended due to financial issues, but that steps have already been taken to correct those issues.
- Committees Reports
- Americanism Committee Legionnaire McKinney reported that he and Commander Woods has met with Madison Chief of Police Muncey, and that Chief Muncey concurred with the plan to name a Law Enforcement Officer of the Year. Legionnaire McKinney presented the criteria to Chief Muncey and the officer will be identified by the 23 April dead line. The Madison Law Enforcement Officer of the Year will be nominated by Post 229 for the Department of Alabama Law Enforcement Officer of the Year. Legionnaire McKinney also reported that he has been in communication with the Department of Alabama, and that personnel there are also supportive of Post 229 submitting a nomination.
- Membership Drive First Vice-Commander Dumont encouraged all members to continue recruiting efforts and offered to provide recruiting advice to any legionnaire that desires it. First Vice-commander Dumont also offered to speak with any possible recruits to answer any questions as requested.
- Boy’s State Commander Woods reported that Post 229 will be sending James Harrison from Sparkman High School to Boys State this year. Mr. Harrison is a member of JROTC and a Boy Scout currently working toward earning Eagle Scout under Scoutmaster David Silvernail, who is also a member of Post 229.
- Auto Show Commander Woods reported that the tentative date for the auto show is 15 August 2015. Attempts to contact Mr. Parks at Bob Jones High School, to request permission to host the event in their parking area, have been unsuccessful as of yet. Commander Woods plans to go try to visit with Mr. Parks, and hopefully get permission to use the parking area. Finance Officer McGrath will give Commander Woods additional information on the plans before he meets with Mr. Parks. Legionnaire Grant will also assist in planning as needed. Legionnaires Marcel and VanLeeuwen are both in car clubs and have attended various shows, and will also assist in any way possible, including advertising the show among the car clubs.
- Memorial Day Weekend Commander Woods presented the plans for the Memorial Day weekend events as listed below:
- Placing of Flags at Madison City three Cemeteries will be held on 23 May time 8 AM, we will assemble at the Madison Memory Cemetery, parking lot, located on Hughes Road, north of the Madison Municipal Court House. Please come out and help.
- Ceremony: Madison Veteran Park 25 May 2015 Time: 11 AM- 12 PM
- Recommendations For Agenda needed from Member
- Speaker: LTC Herd, Randy, Bob Jones High School JROTC Instructor
- Color Guard: Bob Jones High School
- Madison Community Band
- Guest Singer: Lawrence Frakes, Post 229
- Will give away small American flags to attendees
- Requested Helicopter Static Display
- Volunteers needed to erect tent on loan from Madison Optimists Club
- Poppies Give Away 23-24 May 2015
- Wal-Marts Hwy 20 and Hwy 72W, and possibly new Wal-Triana Hwy location
- Time 10AM to 4 PM Both Saturday and Sunday
- Three- 2 hours shifts per Day
- 2 Legionnaires at each entry, total 32 Legionnaires needed.
- Memorial Park Monument Commander Woods reported that Legionnaire Drolet is working to design a replacement to the monument, and has an initial estimate of $40,000-$50,000 for a solid stone monument. Legionnaire Haughen raised an objection to that estimate regardless of donations or sponsors received to pay the cost. There was a discussion that the post should review several design options and cost estimates. Legionnaire VanLeeuwen suggested that the post ask District 12 Vice-Commander Blevins to research the various by-laws of the American Legion to determine any requirements to receive multiple bids for replacing the monument. Commander Woods stated that he will contact Vice Commander Blevins to request him to conduct that research.
No new business was presented. Commander Woods would like to remind members that at our 14 May meet the floor will be open for nomination for new Post Officers to serve for 2016. You must be present to be nominated. Election of 2016 Officers will be held at our 11 June 2015, meeting.
Commander Woods deemed the meeting adjourned at 2000, based on having no new business to discuss.