· Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Commander Woods at 1900, and opening prayer was offered by Legionnaire Draper. Members in attendance were Commander Carlos Woods, First Vice-Commander Monica Dumont, Second Vice-Commander Bill McGahey, Adjutant Douglas Pruett, Finance Officer Allison McGrath, Judge Advocate Mario Ventura, Past Commander Carl Dow, Legionnaires Oscar Draper Sr., Edward Durst, Lawrence Frakes, Jim Haugen, Leondra Kelley, Mike Leech, Mike Marcell, Tom McKinney, Shelton Torbert, Yvette Torbert, Scott Turbiner, Chuck Uhrich, Harold Fitzgerald, Bill Petit, Jerry Tepper and Special guest: Commander of Post 351 Robert Douglas.
· Approval of Previous Minutes
Motion to accept the minutes of the May meeting as posted on line was made by Adjutant Pruett and seconded by Second Vice-Commander McGahey. Motion was passed by all present.
- Adjutant- Adjutant Pruett reported that Post 229 is currently showing at 156.8% by the Department of Alabama. We have 223 members total, with 207 paid up and 16 unpaid. The final report for 2014 was 154 total members, 136 paid and 18 unpaid.
- Finance- Commander Woods gave the Finance Report due to Finance Office McGrath being out of town recently. Commander Woods reported on post profits from the Memorial Day Poppy Give Away donations and the balance of all post accounts. NOTE: Balances are not posted online, but members with question may contact Commander Woods directly.
- State of the District/County Report- Commander Woods reported that the new District 12 Commander is Jeremy Blevins, with Kevin Walker being District 12 Vice-Commander. Commander Woods is the new Madison County Commander.
- NAVFOC-There will be an upcoming email with all events planned.
- DAV- No Report Made
- Committees Reports:
- Americanism Committee- Legionnaire McKinney reported that the Madison Law Enforcement Officer of the Year, Detective Corporal Christie Gover, was presented for consideration by the Department of Alabama, but did not win. Legionnaire McKinney asked to be reimbursed for the cost of the plaque. Legionnaire Leech made the motion to reimburse, it was seconded by Legionnaire Draper, and passed by all present.
- Membership Drive-First Vice-Commander Dumont reported that there will be a recruitment drive for Madison County soon, and that details are still being worked out.
· Unfinished Business
- Law Enforcement Award
- Tom McKinney: Law Enforcement Officer of Year: Detective Corporal Christie Gover present post award.
- Boys State:
- Harrison James, Sparkman High School, JROTC, Boy Scout (Silvernail) attended Boys State, and reported that it was an enjoyable experience.
- Memorial Day Weekend
- Placing of Flags: Problem; no one showed up to pick up Flags. 2nd Vice Bill McGahey single handedly picked them up.
- Poppies Give Away: Collected $3071.26
- Memorial Day Ceremony:
- Great Program:
- Thanks to all, special thanks to 1St Vice, Chief Cob Madison Community Band, LTC Herd, CMSGT Clark and their JROTC Color/Honor Guard, Legionnaire Larry Frakes, and North Alabama Vietnam Helicopter Pilot Association
- Review of new monument plans-Commander Woods presented the design plan for the new monument and discussed the suggested changes with the membership. Commander Woods will be seeking approval from the City of Madison and asking for funds to help in the effort. Commander Woods will also present the plans to the Madison Historical Society as a courtesy.
- Election of Finance Officers for 2016
- Candidates: Allison McGrath and Leondra Kelley- The new elected Finance Officer is Leondra Kelley.
· New Business
o Adjutant Pruett stated that he plans to run a recruitment booth at the City of Madison Independence Day celebration and asked members to consider volunteering to staff the booth throughout the event. More information will be forthcoming.
o Department Convention 18 – 21 June 2015, Marriott, Huntsville, Alabama: Commander Woods informed the members that he had paid for 7 delegates for the Convention. Members to attend, Commander Woods, Vice Monica Dumont, Past Commander Carl Dow, Adjutant Douglas Pruett, Executive Committee Member, Tom McKinney, Member, Lelia Woods. There is one open delegate position open.
o Installation of Officers by Commander Robert Douglas, American Legion Post 351, Huntsville, Al:
Post 351 Commander Douglas gave the charge and Oath of Office to the 2016 Post 229 officers.
Commander- Carlos Woods
First Vice-Commander- Monica Dumont
Second Vice-Commander- Bill McGahey
Adjutant- Douglas Pruett
Finance Officer- Leondra Kelley
Judge Advocate- Mario Ventura
Sergeant of Arms- Mike Marcell
Chaplain- Ricky Spears (Not Present)
Historian- Sandra Bush (Not Present) appointed by Commander
Executive Committee members- Past Commander Carl Dow and Legionnaire Tom McKinney
o For the Good of the Legion
Motion to adjourn was made by Adjutant Pruett and seconded by First Vice-Commander Dumont. The motion was passed by all present and Commander Woods adjourned the meeting at 8:05 PM. Next meeting will 9 July 2015.