Call to Order
The membership meeting was held at the Masonic Lunar Lodge #918, 740 Eastview Drive, Madison starting at 7pm. Meeting called to order by Commander Carlos Woods. Prayer was given by Commander Woods.
Legionnaires in attendance were Commander Carlos Woods, Adjutant Larry Vannoy, 1st Vice James Vance, 2nd Vice Earl Watts, Judge Advocate Chris Brown, Sgt of Arms Mike Marcel, Finance Officer Leondara Kelley, members Bill McGahey, Mario Ventura, Stan Walker, David Silvernail, James Rogers, Tom McKinney, Andrew Caudle, Richard Blanton Jr, Cherish Croft.
Approval of Previous Minutes
The June 8th meeting minutes were reviewed and there were two changes, and if there were any corrections. Finance Officer Leondra Kelley and Sgt of Arms Mike Marcel were not present at the 8 June Meeting for the 2017-18 swearing in ceremony. The meeting minutes were approved with the corrections by the members present.
- Sick and Shut in:
- Past post commander Carl Dow remains at the Tut Fann veteran’s nursing home.
- Larry Vannoy reported that we grew the post from 227 in FY 2016 to 248 members in 2017, a 9% increase. We have about 70 members renewed thus far this year.
- Finance Officer Leondra Kelley presented the current status of our post accounts. He is getting the final itemized bill from Clark Memorial, after which we will make the final payment on the monument. The finance report was approved by the members present.
- State of the District/County Report:
- Commander Woods and wife and post member Lelia attended the State Annual Conference 15-18 July in Montgomery. We have a new state commander, Donna Stacey. Membership growth and recruitment of younger members is going to be a major initiative.
- North Alabama Veterans Fraternal Coalition NAVFOC:
- 1st Vice James Vance attended the NAVFOC and stated that there is a Job Fair 8-10 August on Redstone Arsenal. We are hosing the 6 September meeting at the Madison Senior Center.
- Disabled Veterans (DAV):
- Nothing new to report.
- Americanism Committee
- Legionnaire McKinney sated that the City of Madison has a new police chief, Dave Jernigan as well as a new fire chief, David Bailey. McKinney intends to meet with the chiefs to talk about the American Legion and annual awards we would like to be part of presenting.
- Monument Committee:
- The Madison County Commission Chairman, Dale Strong has purchased new flag poles for the Madison Veteran’s Park. Alabama Flag and Banner will be doing the installation. Adjutant Larry Vannoy is getting with Commissioner Steve Haraway to see if we can get assistance in the removal of the current flag poles.
- Larry also stated that we are getting with the city to get the sprinkler system up and running again.
- Membership Committee:
Commander Woods stated that he would like us to be at 100% renewal by the end of November and encouraged each member to recruit one new veteran to the post.
- Post Home Committee:
- Adjutant Vannoy stated that Judge Advocate, Chris Brown and himself will be meeting with city departments about ways to finance a post home.
- Fund Raising Committee:
- We continue to sell pavers and benches for the memorial park for those interested.
- Madison Street Festival:
- A discussion was held regarding the upcoming street festival and what food we wanted to sell. Two options on the table are “Walking Tacos” the other is parfaits. It was decided that we would have both served at the 10 August membership meeting.
- Presentation of Awards:
- In appreciation for 4 years of service as Post Judge Advocate, Mario Ventura, and for three years of service as Post Second Vice Commander, Bill McGahey were given pedestal mounted eagles thanking them for their outstanding support to the post.
- Commander Woods and Larry Vannoy received a 3 new member pin from the National Commander.
- Certificates for a single new member recruitment were given to Lenwood Conway, Victor Blade, Ricky Spears, David Silvernail, Mike Marcel, Bill McGahey, and Max Riddle.
- Memorial Day
- This year’s Memorial Day Ceremony and Monument Dedication went great. Thanks for all that helped and participated. We got accolades from attending residents and the VIPs that attended.
- Installation of New Officers 2018:
- A swearing in ceremony took place for the following officers who missed last month’s meeting:
- Finance Officers: Leondra Kelly
- Sgt of Arms: Mike Marcel
- Chaplain: Stan Walker
- Storage Facility
- We continue to seek a location for storage of post supplies. Larry Vannoy will take the lead. Options discussed were to rent a storage building, purchase a storage container, or purchase a storage building; the latter two requiring a location for the container/building.
- A motion was made by Larry Vannoy for the post to pay the membership dues for our WWII Veteran Members. It was voted on and approved by the members present.
Meeting Adjourned time 8:30 PM.