American Legion Post 229
General Membership Meeting Minutes, 14 December 2018
Call to Order
The membership meeting was held at the Masonic Lunar Lodge #918, 740 Eastview Drive, Madison starting at 7pm. Meeting called to order by Commander Carlos Woods. Prayer was given by Tom McKinney.
Legionnaires in attendance were Commander Carlos Woods, Adjutant Larry Vannoy, 2nd Vice Earl Watts, Judge Advocate Chris Brown, Sgt of Arms Mike Marcel, Historian Richard Blanton, Admin Cherish Croft, Americanism Tom McKinney, members Kevin Kleinjung, Larry Frakes, Edward Durst, Doug Pruett, Tommy Whitten, Andrew Caudle, Sherwin Callander, Brady Rogers, Jimmy Harris, David Silvernail and guests Trace Kea, Erik Arnold, and Post 229 Auxiliary member Kathy Durst.
Approval of Previous Minutes
The 9 November meeting minutes were read by Adjutant Larry Vannoy and approved by the members present.
- Sick and Shut in:
- Carl Dow remains in Tut Fann nursing home. Lelia Woods continues to get dialysis and is showing some signs of improvement.
- Larry Vannoy reported that we currently at approximately 84% renewal. We have also gained 11 transfers into the post. We have 3 new members to send into the state.
- Commander Woods sent out letters to 82 members that have not renewed, since, 30 members have committed to renew leaving an outstanding balance of 52 members that need to renew. all those that have not renewed, as of 1 January 2018, will stop receiving the AL magazine until they renewed. Commander Woods will be making calls one more time before the end of the month.
- Finance Officer Leondra Kelley was not present due to other commitments. We have a needy post member needing financial assistance. The post officers approved financial support to the member. The finance report was approved by the members present.
- State of the District/County Report:
- County activities were covered in other parts of the meeting agenda.
- North Alabama Veterans Fraternal Coalition (NAVFOC):
- There was nothing new to report. Visit their website at: http://navfoc.org/ for details on the organization and area veteran's related schedule of activities.
- Disabled Veterans (DAV):
- Nothing new to report.
- Americanism Committee
- Police Officer and Fire Fighter of The Year. Tom McKinney reported that the Police Officer and Firefighter of the year for the City of Madison awards were presented at the 11 December Madison City Council meeting. We had a great turnout, thanks for all legion members that attended.
- Oratorical Contest. McKinney also reported that the Oratorical Contest taking place in January at Madison City Hall on January 13th. Our post member Tom McKinney has taken the lead for the county. This will be a combined Madison County competition. There are 29 high schools in Madison County including public and private schools. McKinney and wife Sandra have delivered contest info packages to each of the schools. There are seven students showing interest in participating thus far. We will need post volunteers to help. Commander Woods will find judges, ushers, time keepers, and other volunteers. Finance Officer Kelley will order the medals to be given to winners. The District competition is on the 17th of February, again at Madison City Hall.
- McKinney thanked member Richard Blanton for his work on getting articles in the Madison Record regarding donations to the local JROTC programs.
- Veteran of the Week. The Madison Record newspaper is asking Post 229 to nominate veterans for a “Veteran of The Week Article.” You can be a part of this outstanding newspaper feature by contacting the Madison Record, Gregg Parker at email email@example.com .
- The storage CONEX container is in place and supplies were all moved in on the 19th of November. Key to our old storage will be turned in to owner.
- Veteran’s Day Parade
- Post 229 participated in the Veteran’s Day Parade, downtown Huntsville.
- Wreaths for The Holidays
- Member Bill McGahey stated that we are going to put out wreaths at the Madison cemeteries on the 16th of December. Meet at the storage container at 8 am, bring the wreaths to Madison Memorial Gardens at 9 am to install new ribbons the Girl Scouts have made and start placing the wreaths at 10 am. We are picking up the wreaths on the 6th of January at 10 am.
- Flag Retirement
- Commander Woods stated that there is interest in a joint flag retirement ceremony between DAV, Post 237, Knights of Columbus Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and ourselves at the Veteran’s Memorial Park. We still need to come up with a date.
- Post Home
- The Post Home committee will be starting up next, Larry Vannoy is the committee chairperson.
- The "Wall That Heals" (traveling Vietnam Wall) is coming to Huntsville next fall. Date has not been confirmed to date. There will be many opportunities to volunteer.
Meeting Adjourned: 8:30