American Legion Post 229
General Membership Meeting Minutes, 11 Jan 2018
Call to Order
- The membership meeting was held at the Masonic Lunar Lodge #918, 740 Eastview Drive, Madison starting at 7pm. Meeting called to order by Commander Carlos Woods. Prayer was given by Tom McKinney.
- Legionnaires in attendance were Commander Carlos Woods, Adjutant Larry Vannoy, Judge Advocate Chris Brown, Sgt of Arms Mike Marcel, Historian Richard Blanton, Americanism Tom McKinney, members, Edward Durst, Doug Pruit, Tommy Whitten, Andrew Caudle, Brady Rogers, David Silvernail, Tim Starostanko, Trace Key, Jean Downs, Keith Cosby, Tim Oman, Bill McGahey, Alan Cerny, and James Rogers. Guest Post 229 Auxiliary member Kathy Durst.
Approval of Previous Minutes
- The 14 December 2017 meeting minutes were read by Adjutant Larry Vannoy and approved by the members present.
- Sick and Shut in:
- Carl Dow remains in Tut Fann nursing home; Woods and Vannoy visited him over the holidays. WWII Vet Sherwin Callander had a right arm and hand injury and is recovering. Lelia Woods continues to get dialysis and is showing some signs of improvement.
- Larry Vannoy reported that we currently at approximately 96% renewal.
- The Women’s Auxiliary has their charter and will be meeting later this month at the Lunar Lodge. A message from the president, Elizabeth Vance, will be going out to their members.
- The City of Madison has agreed to build the Post some signs for the Veteran’s Park, they are awaiting our draft.
- Vannoy requested that legion members that have photos of post events provide them to the Post Historian, Richard Blanton. Richard is to start putting photos on the Post Facebook page.
- Finance Officer Leondra Kelley was not present due to other commitments.
- State of the District/County Report:
- County activities were covered in other parts of the meeting agenda
- North Alabama Veterans Fraternal Coalition NAVFOC:
- There was nothing new to report. Visit their web site at: http://navfoc.org/ for details on the organization and area veteran’s related schedule of activities.
- Nothing new to report.
- Committees Reports:
- Americanism Committee
- Oratorical Contest. Post member Tom McKinney also reported that the Oratorical Contest taking place in January at Madison City Hall on January 13th, weather permitting. Tom has taken the lead for the county. This will be a combined Madison County competition. A judges briefing has been done and are still seeking a few more volunteers for various positions. It looks like we have 6 students competing. We are also hosting the District 12 Oratorical Contest at Madison City Hall on the 17th of February. The district is supposed to provide most of the manpower and judges but our post will also be providing help.
- Veteran of the Week. The Madison Record newspaper is asking Post 229 to nominate veterans for a “Veteran of the Week Article”. The newspaper has done an outstanding job putting out articles on veteran activities, we need to support the paper with veteran’s names. Tom is pulling together the list of names, please contact Tom if you are willing to do an article on yourself.
- Monument Committee
- Monument Committee Chairman, James Vance was not present, however, work is progressing on submitting paver requests to Clark Construction. Commander Woods directed that the committee get with the post finance officer for the latest paver orders and submit them to Clark Construction.
- Commander Woods stated that we need to move forward with getting a plan together so we can start fundraising.
- Storage Facility
- Vannoy reported that the storage shed keys have been returned to the Samperi family.
- Bill McGahey stated that the Christmas wreaths were picked up on the 6th of January. We had a great turnout from Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and the three JROTC programs we are sponsoring. Several Madison residents helped as well.
- Commander Woods stated that there is interest in a joint flag retirement ceremony between DAV, Post 237, Knights of Columbus Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and ourselves at the Veteran’s Memorial Park. We still need to come up with a date.
- Boy Scouts Trailer
- Boy Scout Troop 201 is working with the post to procure a trailer. Boy Scout troops cannot poses assets so are asking the post to take possession of a trailer for their use. We are going to investigate the liability to our post when the trailer is in use by the scouts.
- Post Elections are coming up in April. We need candidates for many positions.
- The “Wall That Heals” (travelling Vietnam Wall) is coming to Huntsville this fall near Veteran’s Day. The date has not been firmed up but will soon. There will be lots of opportunities to volunteer. Bill McGahey is our POC.
- Additional Comments
- Member Edward Durst and wife Kathy Durst made a $250 donation to the post building fund. Thank you Ed and Kathy.
- The Alabama American Legion Mid Winter Conference is taking place on 18-21 January, Double Tree Inn Decatur. Commander Woods would like the officers to seriously consider attending.