American Legion Post 229
General Membership Meeting Minutes, 8 Feb 2018
Call to Order
- The membership meeting was held at the Masonic Lunar Lodge #918, 740 Eastview Drive, Madison starting at 7pm. Meeting called to order by Commander Carlos Woods. Prayer was given by Stan Walker.
- Legionnaires in attendance were Commander Carlos Woods, Adjutant Larry Vannoy, Judge Advocate Chris Brown, Finance Officer Leondra Kelley, 2nd Vice Commander Earl Watts, Sgt of Arms Mike Marcel, Historian Richard Blanton, Americanism Chairman Tom McKinney, members: Edward Durst, Doug Pruett, Tommy Whitten, Andrew Caudle, Brady Rogers, David Silvernail, Tim Starostanko, Trace Key, Jean Downs, Keith Cosby, Tim Oman, Bill McGahey, Alan Cerny, Ed Garcia, and James Rogers. Guests: Post 229 Auxiliary member Kathy Durst, Luis Garcia, Nathan Parson, North Alabama Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Commander Andy Haq.
- Luis Garcia and Nathan Parson introduced themselves and joined the post later in the evening.
Approval of Previous Minutes
- The 11 January meeting minutes were read by Adjutant Larry Vannoy and approved by the members present.
- Sick and Shut in:
- Carl Dow remains in Tut Fann nursing home; Woods and Vannoy visited him over the holidays. WWII Vet Sherwin Callander had a right arm and hand injury and is recovering. Lelia Woods continues to get dialysis and is showing some signs of improvement.
- Larry Vannoy reported that we currently at approximately 104% renewal. We still have 37 members to renew.
- Finance Officer Leondra Kelley presented the bills, deposits and balances of the operating account, post home account and the Veteran's Park maintenance account. The report was approved by the members present.
- State of the District/County Report:
- County activities were covered in other parts of the meeting agenda.
- North Alabama Veterans Fraternal Coalition NAVFOC:
- Bill McGahey attended the NAVFOC meeting held the evening before at Huntsville Legion Post 237. Two major items reported:
- Vietnam 50th Anniversary celebration on Saturday, April 7th at Huntsville/Madison County Veterans Memorial, downtown Huntsville at 11am. Meet and greet from 9-10:30.
- Nothing new to report.
- Committees Reports:
- Americanism Committee
- Oratorical Contest. Post member Tom McKinney reported that the Madison County Oratorical Contest took place on January 27th at Madison City Hall; we had 5 contestants. Winner of the contest was Laura Underwood of Providence Classical High School of Huntsville; second place was Ryan Williams of Bob Jones High School, and third place was Johnny Lamey of Providence Classical High School. First Place winner received $300, second place received $200 and third place received $100. We aill also host the District 12th Oratorical Contest at Madison City Hall on the 17th of February. There is going to be a dry run on the 10th at 10am. We will need post members to help. Please see Tom McKinney if you are available.
- Veteran of the Week. The Madison Record newspaper is asking Post 229 to nominate veterans for a “Veteran of the Week Article”. The newspaper has done an outstanding job putting out articles on veteran activities; we need to support the paper with veteran’s names. Tom is pulling together the list of names; please contact Tom if you are willing to do an article on yourself.
- Monument Committee
- Member Tommy Whitten has taken over responsibilities of collecting applications and submitting them to Clark Memorial, the company that built our monument. Tommy submitted fourteen forms several days ago and will get a status on when they will be installed for the next meeting.
- Commander Woods stated that we need to move forward with getting a plan together so we can start fundraising.
- Mid-Winter Conference
- Commander Woods and Adjutant Vannoy attended the conference, held in Decatur. There was a lot of emphasis on membership. Also discussed were membership benefits including free AD&D insurance. Visit the national website, www.legion.org for details.
- Bill McGahey stated that the Christmas wreaths were picked up on the 6th of January. We had a great turnout from Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and the three JROTC programs we are sponsoring. Several Madison residents and organizations were on hand to help as well.
- Andy Haq, Commander of the Huntsville DAV Chapter 26 spoke about the upcoming American Flag Retirement Ceremony coming up on Saturday, April 7th at 11am, Madison Veteran's Memorial Park, Front Street, Madison. Participants will include American Legion Post 229 and 237, DAV, Knights of Columbus, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. Andy reviewed the sequence of events for the ceremony.
- Boy Scouts Trailer
- Boy Scout Troop 201 is working with the post to procure a trailer. Boy Scout troops cannot posses assets so are asking the post to take possession of a trailer for their use. Judge Advocate Chris Brown continues to investigate liability to the post. Adjutant Vannoy, Finance Officer Kelley and Judge Advocate Brown are going to get together to form a recommendation to the post.
- Post Elections are coming. Nominations will be held in April with elections for the new officers for 2018 in May. Please step forward and join us for this process and consider running for office. All offices are open.
- Memorial Day
- The annual Memorial Day Ceremony is coming up on 28May2018. We will have our Flag Placing and Poppy giveaway at the three Madison Walmarts on the 26th and 27th of May. This year our newly established American Legion Auxiliary will assist. We will need many volunteers. A planning meeting will be forthcoming, watch for announcements.
The meeting adjourned at 8:05pm.