American Legion Post 229
General Membership Meeting Minutes, 12 April 2018
Call to Order
- The membership meeting was held at the Masonic Lunar Lodge #918, 740 Eastview Drive, Madison starting at 7pm. Meeting called to order by Commander Carlos Woods. Prayer was given by Stan Walker.
- Legionnaires in attendance were Commander Carlos Woods, 2nd Vice commander Earl Watts, Judge Advocate Chris Brown, Finance Officer Leondra Kelley, Historian Richard Blanton, Americanism Tom McKinney, Edward Durst, Bill McGahey, Al Cerny, Chaplain Stan Walker, Doug Pruett, Major Wooten, Andrew Caudle, Brady Rogers, Tom Whitten, Edd Gancarz, Roddrick Newby, David Silvernail, Tim Oman, James Rogers Post 229 Auxiliary member Kathy Durst, Visitor, Stacy Harring and Special guest Clayton Hinchman, candidate for Alabama’s 5th Congressional District and Matt Mendryga. .
- Candidate Hinchman was given five minutes to address the Post. All candidates that request time will be allowed.
Approval of Previous Minutes
- The 8 March 2018 meeting minutes were motioned for approval. The membership present voted for approval.
- Sick and Shut in:
- Carl Dow remains in Tut Fann nursing home. Dalton Thompson is recovering from his back injury. Lelia Woods continues to get dialysis and is showing some signs of improvement.
- Adjutant Larry Vannoy was absent. Commander Woods provided the report that the Post was at 105% for 2018.
- Finance Officer Leondra Kelley presented the bills, deposits and balances of the operating account, post home account and Veteran’s park maintenance account. The finance report motioned and approved.
- Commander Woods reminded the members that expenditure of post funds without approval by the commander, or depending on the amount, the membership, is limited to office supplies by the commander, adjutant and finance officer.
- State of the District/County Report:
- Commander Woods reported the our 12th District had elections and he was re-elected as Madison County Commander. Commander Don Pinkerton, of Huntsville Post 237 was elected as our new 12th District Commander.
- North Alabama Veterans Fraternal Coalition NAVFOC:
- Post 229 will be host NAVFOC on 2 May 2017 at 5:30 PM at the Madison Senior Citizen Center. All are invited
- DAV had a State Commanders’ meeting in Huntsville.
- Committees Reports:
- Americanism Committee
- Oratorical Contest. Commander Woods reported that 12th district Commander Kevin Walker recognized our Americanism Committee Chairman Tom McKinney for his outstanding support and leadership in conducting the 12th district Oratorical Contest.
- Police Officer and Firefighter Of The Year Award. McKinney reported that our Post will not be submitting a candidate for the State Department First Responders Award this year. This is for both law enforcement and fire fighter.
- Veteran of the Week. McKinney said that a dozen names of post members has been sent to the Madison County Record for “Veteran of the Week” articles. The newspaper has done an outstanding job putting out articles on veteran activities. McKinney requested that if you are a veteran, please participate.
- Quilt of Valor. The “Quilt of Valor” organization and its support to veterans will honor Tom McKinney on 3 May 2018 at 11 AM. Come out and join Tom as he receives his award.
- Monument Committee
- Tommy Whitten reported that Clarke Memorial will be installing 14 pavers during the Month of May. If you do not have your paver, please submit your request.
- Commander Woods stated that we need to move forward with getting a plan together so we can start fundraising.
- The Flag Retirement is coming on Saturday the 14th of April, 11AM, Madison Veteran’s Memorial Park, Front Street Madison. Participants will include American Legion Post 229 and 237, DAV, Knight of Columbus, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
- Boy Scouts Trailer
- It was reported by Commander Woods that the Madison County Boys State Chairman, Matt Bryan, informed the Madison Commander and Adjutant at their meeting that he had 18 completed applicants thus far with a total projection of 48 hoping to participate in Boys State.
- The Son of the American Legion (SAL), Huntsville, has volunteered to pay the remainder of the $1501.00 for the Bus to take our applicant to and from Boys State. Thank you, SAL.
- Post By-Laws
- Judge Advocate, Chris Brown explained the actions that he was directed by the Post to take in establishing our Post as a Corporation. He explained in deal what is required the filing process, the need for a Board of directors, Executive board and the need to change our By-Laws and the establishing our Post as a 501C.
- Post Nomination of Officers:
- Nomination of officers were held. Commander Woods stated that he will not be running for a 6th year. Nomination results are as follows:
- Commander: Larry Vannoy
- 1st Vice Commander: Earl Watts
- 2nd Vice Commander: Tom Whitten
- Adjutant: Stacy Harring
- Finance Officer: Vacant
- Sgt of Arms: Mike Marcel
- Judge Advocate: Chris Brown
- Chaplain: Andy Caudle
- Historian: Richard Blanton
- Note: the nominations are still open. Nominations will be closed right before the vote. If a member is interested in an officer position, notify Judge Advocate Chris Brown, 256-374-1906 or email@example.com.
- Memorial Day
- The annual Memorial Day Ceremony is coming up and a lot of help will be required. A planning meeting will be forthcoming, watch for announcements. Commander Woods is pursuing a guest speaker.
- 26 May, 9 AM, flags will be placed on grave sites in Madison. Those wanting to participate should meet at Madison Memorial Gardens at that time. Flag pickup will be on the 2nd of June.
- Poppies will be given away on the 26th and 27th of May at the three area Walmart stores from 10am – 6 pm. An email will follow asking members to volunteer. The post women’s Auxiliary will be participating with us.
- Blue Star Banner Program. Commander Woods is pushing that we re-activate the Blue Star Banner Program. Woods has three members at his church he wants to present banners to on 27 May 2018, at the 9:30am Service, Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church.
- “Wall That Heals”
- American Legion Baseball.
- Bill McGahey addressed the Post and ask that we support in the establishment of an American Legion Baseball Team. It was motion and voted on and approved.
- James Clemens JROTC Award Program.
- James Clemens JROTC Award Program will be held on 21 April 2018 at 6PM.
The meeting adjourned at 8:30pm.